Enterprise applications are applications you provide to Esper. These can be applications created by your organization, or APKs provided by third-party developers.
In this article:
APK File Requirements
Android Applications that you upload to Esper will have an APK file extension. APK files will need to adhere to certain conditions to successfully upload and provision:
- The APK must have a unique version name and number.
- The APK cannot be larger than 500 MB.
- The APK file itself must have the .apk extension.
- The APK file must include signature verification.
- The application cannot set itself as the default launcher; this will cause conflict with the Esper Agent (DPC).
- The application must adhere to the latest Android APK standards (currently we allow APKs without icons).
If you attempt to upload an APK file that has a V2 or V3 signature, but not a V1 signature, it will be rejected. Older Android platforms—those running Marshmallow (6.0) and earlier—require V1 signatures.
Uploading an APK
Once you've verified that your APK follows the upload conventions, it's time to upload it to the Esper Cloud.
Step 1: Navigate to Apps > Enterprise Cloud Apps and click on Upload Apps in the top right corner of the screen.
Step 2: In a popup box, you can click Select APK to browse for the file or drag and drop the file into the selection box.
Step 3: A screen will display a message "The application’s upload is in progress."
Step 4: When the upload completes, you will notice an automatically generated release tag and an option to add a description. Here you can add text describing the application and then click Save. On clicking the edit icon, you will get an option to edit the release tag. Then click Save.
Step 5: Then click Close. Once successfully uploaded, the "Esper Cloud Apps" section will show your Enterprise application. You can click on View Details to see more information.
Managing Enterprise Applications
After you’ve uploaded an application, you’ll be able to manage it from the Console. Go to Apps > Enterprise Cloud Apps and locate the application. Then click View Details.
You’ll be able to see the:
- Application name
- Package name
- Application icon
- Version code (for each version) - the same application can have various versions
- Application installed on - the number of devices the application is installed on
- Build number
- Size of the application
- Compatibility with SDK version
- Uploaded on — the date and time the application was uploaded to the Esper Cloud
- Application description — an optional field for you to add a description or release notes
From the Actions dropdown, you’ll be able to:
- Delete the application version from the Esper Cloud.
- Edit the description.
- Edit the release tag.
- Download the application version locally to your PC.